South Australian journeyman Trevor Green notched up his second ever Easter Sprintcar Trail round win when he outrun fellow South Australian Danny Pestka last night at Avalon Raceway. President’s Cup winner Jamie Veal was third across the line in the Camden Neon Signs presented 30 lap final.
In his 25th season of speedway competition, Green jumped to the early lead ahead of fellow front row starter Grant Anderson and set about opening a handy lead.
A lap one skirmish in turn 4 eliminated fancied runners Max Dumesny, James McFadden and Mike Van Bremen while Allan Woods was also a DNF before a lap had been completed.
A number of restarts challenged Green’s patience however the plucky South Australian was faultless throughout the 30 lap final to head off all challengers.
“We haven’t been running much lately and we have had a tough season and we only put things together last minute to compete this weekend,” said an elated Green in victory lane.
Green also heaped praise on his crew and engine builder Peter Morris from Maxwill Race Engines for his support throughout what has been a tough season mechanically.
“We hurt a couple of motors in January and we were in some trouble and Peter busts his butt and it’s great to get a win for everyone.”
“I want to thank the Drew family and Jeff Drew for being a true promoter, he puts everything into this place and we will continue to support him and Avalon.”
Danny Pestka and Jamie Veal had a great duel as they settled the battle for the minor placing’s with Pestka gaining the ascendancy late while Veal was good enough for third in the Mat Eastham owned #88.
Grant Anderson raced home in fourth position ahead of 18th starting Dennis Jones who enjoyed a great night at the office in his #17.
Jeremy Cross was sixth with Brett Milburn, Brent Aprile and Matt Egel in tow while Matthew Reed finished tenth.
Reed was in contention for the Essendon Ford Sprintcar track championship and needed to finish fifth or better win a brand new Ford Fiesta. In the early stages Reed looked to have done enough as he motored into fifth before a stoppage relegated him back to sixth. From there Reed lost a number of spots before bumping the wall and stalling the #92 sending him to the rear and effectively out of contention. As a result David Murcott is the Essendon Ford Sprintcar track champion for this season.
Nick Lacey finished 11th ahead of Shaun Dobson and Eddie Lumbar. Darren Mollenoyux was also a DNF when he bumped the wall with 7 laps to run.
A low time trial effort by his own high standards ensured James McFadden would the start the B-main where he duly sped from the third row to the win. In doing so he advanced to the final as did Mike Van Bremen, Allan Woods and Dennis Jones.
Notable non finishers included defending event winner Steven Lines who limped infield with issues that carried over from a wild flip in turn 1 in his earlier heat race. Lines had earlier set the third fastest time in qualifying and won his first heat and looked set to start on the front row of the final before contact sent him catapulting into the catch fence and out of his second heat.
C-main transferees were Jack Lee, Glen Sutherland, Tim Van Ginneken and Adam King. Andy Caruana, Darren Hickman, Carl Ludeman and American Geoff Ensign were all victims of a torrid C-main that was declared short of the allotted laps.
Shaun Dobson won the opening heat race ahead of Danny Pestka and Nick Lacey while Quentin Tanner and Steven Lynch both got upside down in a bruising opening heat of the weekend.
Jamie Veal romped to the win in heat 2 ahead of Jeremy Cross and Darren Mollenoyux in a nonstop event.
Heat 3 saw Matt Egel jump to the lead ahead of Steven Lines before a minor hesitation in traffic allowed Lines to sail around the top for the win over Egel and Mike Van Bremen.
Heat 4 produced a stirring driver for Eddie Lumbar who won ahead of Brent Aprile and Jackson Delamont while Ensign DNF’d the heat making his night very tough.
Grant Anderson saw the checkered flag first in heat 5 finishing ahead of Green and Matthew Reed while David McKay and David Challons rode out wild crashes as Domain Ramsay and Jamie Heyen also registered DNF’s.
Warrnambool teenager Will Carroll won the first of the inverted heats ahead of Danny Pestka and Andy Caruana.
Tim Van Ginneken did likewise in heat 8 over Darren Mollenoyux and Glen Sutherland.
Heat 8 was when things turned sour for Steven Lines on the opening lap before Dennis Jones raced to the win ahead of Jamie Hennessy and Jack Lee.
James McFadden showed plenty of speed to win heat 9 ahead of Brett Milburn and Trevor Green.
The final heat of the night went the way of Matthew Reed with Darren Hickman and Grant Anderson in tow.
Contracted World Series Sprintcars ace Nick Lacey earlier picked up $200 thanks to Camden Neon Signs for the fastest time in qualifying when he was also the last car onto the track!
Dale Walsh proved too good when he won the Super Rod final as the support racing was some of the best seen all season long. Adam Verhoeven finished a strong runner up with Clinton Scott home in third. Heat race wins went to Walsh, Scott, Darryl Nelson and George Woolstencroft.
For more info contact Jeff Drew 0418 160 985 / Gavin White email